Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Living for Christ: what does it look like to you?



Recently I've been wondering what God has in store for my blog... what He wants me to do next. He's laid on my heart to do a series called Living for Christ. I'm going to do a in depth study in God's Word about living for Christ. I'm going to take a look at believers in the Bible and try to figure out what it really means to live for Christ... and how to live it out daily.

John 3:21, "But anyone who lives by the truth comes to the light, so that his works may be shown to be accomplished by God."

When we've believed on Jesus  we are called to be set apart. We're to be in the world but not of the world.

Ephesians 5:8-11, "For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light—  for the fruit of the light results in all goodness, righteousness, and truth— discerning what is pleasing to the Lord. Don’t participate in the fruitless works of darkness, but instead expose them."

We can't have Jesus in our hearts and still try to satisfy the flesh.

 Galatians 5:17, "For the flesh desires what is against the Spirit, and the Spirit desires what is against the flesh; these are opposed to each other, so that you don’t do what you want."

When we're in the Spirit - in Jesus - then we desire what is against the flesh, it desires things of the Spirit. But if we're still in the flesh we have worldly desires. It's in our human nature to want to sin and to sin, but that's not an excuse. We can't be perfect, but we can try not to satisfy the flesh.

When we've accepted God into our hearts we've accepted Him as our heavenly Father and we've been adopted into His family.

1 John 3:1, "Look at how great a love the Father has given us that we should be called God’s children."

I have a question, when you love your dad do you try to please him? That's how it is with God, since we love Him we try to please Him. We fail and mess up but He still loves us. And because He loves us He has certain things He doesn't want us to do because He knows it can hurt us.
Like as a kid have your parents ever told you not to run into the middle of the road? They said that because you could get run over. When you were little did they tell you to always wash your hands before a meal? They told you that because they know germs can hurt you. It's the same way with God. He doesn't want us to dwell in the world's garbage because He knows what is best. We just have to trust Him.


~~~~~

What about you? What does living for Christ look like to you? Have you been living that way? What are some things that have helped you live for Christ?

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like it will be a thought-provoking series! There's always areas to grow in living like Christ. That's a good analogy you ended with too - it's good to put the fact that we're called to be set apart into perspective. Sometimes it seems like a drag, but really God knows it's the absolute best for us.

    I think living for Christ to me means every part of me is focused on Him. I especially struggle with my thoughts - it's easy to only read things that focus on God, to say Christian things, but the mind is where it all starts, and that's where I wander so often. I need bring my thoughts into captivity to Him, as 2 Corinthians 10:5 says. Definitely some things to think about - thanks for the post! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's hard for every part of us to live for Christ. I agree that it's easy to let our thoughts wander... it's hard to keep them focused. Especially since we feel no one can see our thoughts... when in reality God knows all of our thoughts.
      Psalm 139:2 says; "You know when I sit down and when I stand up; You understand my thoughts from far away."
      God knows us. He knows our thoughts, our desires, our hearts. It's hard, and I have to catch myself at times, but we need to try to have pure clean thoughts. Since we can't do it on our own, we need to pray.
      Thanks for sharing your thoughts Jessica! :)

      Delete