Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Living for Christ: With the Holy Spirit


Acts 1:8 says, "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come on you, and you will be My witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."






After Jesus rose from the dead after dying on the cross, before He ascended back to heaven, He promised something to His disciples. He promised them that they would receive the power of the Holy Spirit upon them after He left. That way they weren't going to be left on their own. No, they were left with the Holy Spirit.

John 14:26, "But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit—the Father will send Him in My name—will teach you all things and remind you of everything I have told you."

And Jesus' promise was fulfilled...

Acts 2:1-4, "When the day of Pentecost had arrived, they were all together in one place. Suddenly a sound like that of a violent rushing wind came from heaven, and it filled the whole house where they were staying. And tongues, like flames of fire that were divided, appeared to them and rested on each one of them. Then they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in different languages, as the Spirit gave them ability for speech." 

The Holy Spirit came upon them and filled them. The Holy Spirit gives us each unique gifts - spiritual gifts - but we'll talk more about that in a different post.

The Holy Spirit, the Son (Jesus), and the Father are the Holy Trinity. Three in one. I can't wrap my mine around it but here's something that might help you understand it better:
water. It's in three forms: liquid, steam, and ice. But even though in different forms it's still H2O. It's still water. That's what it's like the Holy Spirit, Jesus, and the Father... three in one. Father, Spirit, Son. It's hard to understand but that's okay... if we could understand God He wouldn't be God.

Ephesians 1:13, "When you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and when you believed in Him, you were also sealed with the promised Holy Spirit."

When we accept Jesus into our hearts then the Holy Spirit comes to dwell inside of us. The thing is, we can't live for Christ on our own. We need God's help. The Holy Spirit is there is guide us and help us. For instance, if you start talking to someone about the gospel then the Holy Spirit takes over. You can't 'mess up' when sharing the gospel... but if you don't start talking then the Holy Spirit can't take over. You have to be willing.

Acts 9:31, "So the church throughout all Judea, Galilee, and Samaria had peace, being built up and walking in the fear of the Lord and in the encouragement of the Holy Spirit, and it increased in numbers."

"In the encouragement of the Holy Spirit." The Holy Spirit encourages us.

Sometimes we feel the urging to do something for Jesus. Like sing at the top of our lungs for praising Him. Or maybe to give money to missions. That's the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit guides us.

Also, the Holy Spirit tries to prevent us from doing the things of the flesh.

Galatians 5:24, "Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires."

When we belong to Jesus we've crucified the flesh and its passions and desires... those of the flesh desire things of the flesh and those of the Spirit the things of the Spirit. We aren't to live for the flesh. But to live for God.

~~

How can I apply this to my life?

That's a question I ask myself often after spending time in God's Word. How can I? Well there are a few things.....


  • Remember if you've accepted Jesus into your heart then you have the Holy Spirit dwelling in you.
  • Tell others about Jesus - this is a hard one. But we can remember that the Holy Spirit is in us and will guide us.
  • To not satisfy the flesh... if we belong to Jesus the flesh is crucified... so stop trying to please it.
  • Listen to the Holy Spirit. But make sure it's the Holy Spirit. You can tell if its the Holy Spirit by spending time in Truth (the Bible). But when the Holy Spirit calls us to action we need to act. 

Those are a few things I saw... though I'm sure there are many more.



----

Any other things you can think of how to apply this to your life? Have you ever shared the gospel and felt the Holy Spirit take over? Have you given into the fleshes desires instead of the Holy Spirit's desires? (for that one I'm sure we all have)

8 comments:

  1. This topic is really fascinating to me, as I've recently been studying revival, which is all about God living in us through the Holy Spirit and working change in our lives.

    I like how you said the Holy Spirit can take over when we're witnessing, but we have to open our mouths first. That's the hardest part! :) I definitely have felt God take over when I've been sharing the gospel - one instance in particular which I think I'll remember as long as I live. It's the most surreal and incredible thing I've ever experienced.

    Thanks for the encouragement, Sarah! May we draw closer to God as He prompts us by His spirit. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Holy Spirit is powerful.... and it's incredible to think that the Holy Spirit dwells in us. And yes, may we draw closer to God as He prompts us by His spirit. Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts Jessica!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I hope it encouraged you! :)

      Delete
  3. Recently I've been thinking about the Holy Spirit and wondering what His role is in my life (or what my response should be to Him). This was helpful to read, Sarah! I don't typically think of the Holy Spirit leading my life; I think of Jesus living inside me. I have so many questions about this and few answers. =) Although I fall short of understanding everything, isn't it amazing that God literally is with us all the time?! We're never alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we're never alone. We're always going to have questions... most questions we probably won't receive the answers to until we get to heaven... but even when we don't understand we can remember that God is in control. And to trust Him. Thanks for reading and your comment Hosanna! It brightens my day to hear from my blogger friends :)

      Delete
    2. That's true! I wish I had the answers, but God's given us as many answers as we need. =) Trust is so important (and hard!).

      You also brighten my day quite often - thank you! =) Have a lovely weekend, Sarah!

      Delete
    3. Trust is really important... and really hard :). I hope you have a lovely weekend as well :).

      Delete