Tuesday, February 19, 2019

I wanted this, didn't I?




I’m alone with nothing to do… I wanted this, didn’t I?

I’m with friends talking and laughing… I wanted this, didn’t I?

I’m spending a day in town… I wanted this, didn’t I?

I’m traveling many places… I wanted this, didn’t I?

I’m watching movies all day… I wanted this, didn’t I?

I have a great job… I wanted this, didn’t I?

Then why do I feel restless inside?

How come these desires now feel likes lies?

Everything I thought that would satisfy me,

Left me emptier than I thought I could be.

When will this be over?

I thought that this next thing would make me happy.

Why can’t truth be seen?

Why do these desires fill me if none of them will fulfill me?

I feel caught between what I desire so badly,

And what will actually make me free.

God, I know that none of these things can satisfy.

This world has been feeding me lies.

I need You.

I need Your truth.

~~~

We need something. We just all look for it in different places. Relationships, jobs, books, food.... we all seek to be satisfied. But somehow we don't realize that the only place we can truly be satisfied is found in Jesus.

Psalm 27:8, "My heart says this about you: “Seek his face.” Lord, I will seek your face."

Our world fills our heads with lies. But let me tell you something: you will never be satisfied if you get the perfect job, if you have great relationships, if you find temporary relief in something, if you get to your ideal body weight, if you wander restlessly. The only true satisfaction is found in Christ Jesus. 

Matthew 6:33, "But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be provided for you."

8 comments:

  1. Wow! So very true! Thank you for this post, Sarah! <3
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful poem, and true! I find myself at times feeling restless-then I pinpoint it to why and it's this: I am trying to fill myself with things other than the Truth and Jesus. And as soon as I run back to Him, it's like...ahhh, my Jesus! :D Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mallory! I love the way you word it "I run back to Him, it's like.. ahh, my Jesus!" :D. We so often try to fill ourselves with things other than Jesus and most of the time we don't even realize it.

      Delete
  3. I have so much love for what you are saying and there is so much truth behind it! We look everywhere for happiness -- the world is searching but will never find it. It's in the One who loves us more than we can possibly imagine. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard people say before that we have a God sized hole inside of us, and no one but Him can fill it. Yes, the world is searching, if only they could look in the right places.
      Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Kara! <3

      Delete
  4. This is so true, Sarah! Even the most beautiful things are loss without Him. Thank you for this lovely reminder. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, beautifully put, Hosanna!
      Thank you for sharing your thoughts! <3

      Delete