Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Truth



We are constantly bombarded by messages. Through social media, from friends, through school and work, we are surrounded by messages. But most of the messages we hear are false. We hear lies on a daily basis. So what is truth?

John 14:6, "Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.""

Jesus is Truth. He never lies. His Word is true.

But Satan is the father of lies. Lies come from Satan.

John 8:44... "He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he tells a lie, he speaks from his own nature, because he is a liar and the father of lies."


If we want to know Truth, we have to spend time with Jesus and in His Word. But spending time in His Word shouldn't be an obligation, it shouldn't be something we want to get over with. Spending time in the Bible, reading the very words He inspired and spoke, should be something we desire to do.

Psalm 119 talks about God's Word, about delighting in His Word and about keeping His commands.
Here are some verses that stick out to me from the passage...

Vs. 11... "I have treasured your word in my heart so that I may not sin against you."

Vs. 25... "My life is down in the dust; give me life through your word."

Vs. 37... "Turn my eyes from looking at what is worthless; give me life in your ways."

Vs. 47... "I delight in your commands, which I love."

It's a beautiful passage. I especially love verse 37.

```

While we are always going to hear lies on this earth, there are certain things we can do to help. For instance, if you notice that getting on social media, or perhaps a particular book or movie series is effecting you negatively, maybe you could try taking a break from it. Like I've said before, sometimes there are things that aren't necessarily bad but they could still have a negative effect on you.

I love what Paul writes in Philippians 4:8, "Finally brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable—if there is any moral excellence and if there is anything praiseworthy—dwell on these things."

Whatever is true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable... we are to dwell on these things. So often our thoughts are no where near any of those words. But if we spend time in Truth that's what our mind will be filled with.


One more thing, lies are exactly what they're called, lies. Lies can lead to insecurities, fears, doubts, and more. Set your mind on truth and treat lies for what they are.


Colossians 3:2, "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things."

Psalm 26:3, "For your faithful love guides me, and I live by your truth."

6 comments:

  1. Great post, Sarah! Philippians 4:8 is one of my favorites!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brooklyne! It's one of my favorites too! :)

      Delete
  2. Truth just makes my heart happy! I really like Phil. 4:8. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that. Realizing truth can be so freeing. It's such a great verse!

      Delete
  3. If we want to know Truth, we have to spend time with Jesus and in His Word. I couldn't agree more! I've noticed if I spend less time with Him and in the Word, the lies stop appearing so averse and I start believing them. I've been reading John chapter 1, and I like how it says Jesus was filled with grace and truth. It's exactly what, or rather Who, our world needs. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading God's Word definetely effects our thoughts. Everything we see, hear, and read effects us in some way.
      I love John 1! I actually worked on memorizing the first 18 verses in December.
      Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Jessica! :)

      Delete