Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Here to Show Love


The young woman looked out the window pane. Raindrops sliding down the glass blurred her vision of the big city around her.

What am I doing here?

The question lingered in her mind as she made her way out of her apartment building. She had moved two years ago for her job, yet she still didn’t feel like she belonged there. She wasn’t sure what she was supposed to do.

I thought You wanted me here, Lord. How come I don’t feel like it? What am I supposed to do?

Rose opened her clear umbrella to cover her before stepping out of the shelter of the awning. She set out at a brisk pace down the sidewalk. The subway was available for her to take, but it wasn’t that long of a walk to her workplace so she opted for walking instead.

After pushing her brown hair out of her eyes and adjusting her glasses, she shifted the strap of her briefcase so it wouldn’t fall onto the wet ground below. She approached the crosswalk and stood beside a few other souls who decided to brave the rain as well. Besides two business men, a woman braving the rain for a morning run, and herself,  there was a young woman who looked around her age, holding the hand of a little boy who looked to be around six. Rose smiled at the pair.

The little boy sneezed and the young woman with him looked worried.

“It’s okay,” His mother told him. “We’ll be there soon.”

“I’m cold.” He said. “And I’m wet. I don’t feel good.”

After a moment’s hesitation she turned their way again. “Hi. I couldn’t help but overhear. Would you like my umbrella? If he’s sick it might help so he doesn’t get as wet.”

The woman bit her lip, glancing from the little boy to Rose again. “Are you sure?”

Rose smiled, not regretting her decision in the least. “I’m positive. Here.” She handed over the umbrella to the pair. The woman held the umbrella over her and the little boy.

“Thank you so much. We just moved here and I was taking him to the doctor and got turned around and it started raining…” She trailed off. “You probably don’t care about that, sorry.”

“No, it’s fine. I’m glad I could help. Have a great day!”

“Thank you, you too.”

That said, Rose and the pair went their different ways. Rose was now getting soaking wet, but smiled as she continued walking in the cold rain.

This is why I’m here, she thought to herself. I’m here to show love.

~~

That's a short story I wrote a while back. We're all in different places for different times, but one thing remains the same: We're here to show love. That may look different for some of us. Perhaps its starting a Bible study, or serving children in your church, or engaging your cashier in conversation. Or maybe it's giving up your umbrella :).

1 John 4:7, "Dear friends, let us love one another, because love is from God, and everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God."

4 comments:

  1. Love this short story! And it's message... <3
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful a picture it paints in my head and what a message so sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete