Wednesday, March 22, 2017

True Humility part 2




True humility.

Last week I wrote about what humility is. This week I'm going to be talking about the greatest example for someone selfless.

Lets start off by reading Philippians 2:5-9. Its the passage I'm going to be talking about. I will show some of the verses, but it would be good for you to read it first. 

~~~~~~~~

I'll start in the beginning. Verse 6 is saying that even though Jesus Christ is God, He didn't use it to His own advantage. What does that even mean? When I read this in my devotions a few weeks ago I had to think about it for awhile, I've always overlooked it reading this passage, but it is important.

You know how when a person reaches a certain age, or gets this certain job then they are like, ' I don't need to listen to anyone but me.'
Jesus, the King of the universe, listened to His heavenly Father and let His will be done. He knew the cost. But He humbled Himself out of His love for His Father and us.

If Jesus listened to God's will and said, "thy will be done" then that should show us that we should do that. ( that verse can be found in Luke 22:42 ).

Verse 7 talks about how Jesus "emptied Himself by taking on the form of a slave, taking on the likeness of men."  

Did you get that? The King of the world stepped down from His throne to come to our broken world to take on the form of a man. And for what? He was mocked, spit on, beaten, and died one of the most painful deaths in the history of mankind. Death on a cross. ( vs. 8 ) He did it for you, for me. He knew it was God's will and He humbled Himself to do it.  He, King, humbled Himself to become a man. Can you even imagine? Being King and on His rightful throne, then becoming a man, a son of a carpenter.

The last few verses talk about how God exalted Jesus afterwards. It reminds me of what Jesus said in Matthew 23:12, "Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted."

Jesus lived those words. He lives those words. He humbled Himself and God exalted Himself. That shows that what He said and still says is the truth.

I skipped verse 5 when I started so I am going to go back to it. It says, "Make your own attitude that of Christ Jesus,"

To make your attitude that of Jesus Christ you have to spend time with Him. In prayer, in His Word, just simply praising Him. The more a student spends time with a teacher the more like the teacher the student becomes. The more you spend time with Jesus, the more Christlike you become.

Jesus is the greatest example to follow. He is the One who you should try to act like. Not another sinner, we are all imperfect. 

So, Jesus is humble. We are to try to humble ourselves before our amazing God.

No comments:

Post a Comment