Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Living for Christ: selflessly



Living for Christ.... selflessly. I have to admit, this is a LOT easier said then done. For some it comes naturally but for others, such as myself, sometimes we tend to think about what I want to do. But when we live for Christ we're focusing on Him, not ourselves.

Jesus Himself lives out this example of living selflessly in John 13.

Jesus washes His disciples feet. That was considered a job for the lowest of the low servants, yet Jesus took it upon Himself to do this selfless act. He did it to set an example for His disciples - and us - to follow.

John 13:14-15, "So if I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.  For I have given you an example that you also should do just as I have done for you."

(click here to read the full passage)


So how do we live selflessly?

Well one thing to remember is that what we do for other people we do for Jesus.

Matthew 25:40, "I assure you: Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me."

Another is that love is selfless. (1 Corinthians 13:4-7)

 But still, how do we in our day to day lives live selflessly? One thing I remember is to do unto others.

Matthew 7:12, "Therefore, whatever you want others to do for you, do also the same for them"

I mean I would love it if someone would do one of my chores for me, or bring me Starbucks. We should do for others what we want them to do to us. Do we want people to yell or get frustrated at us? Of course not. Do we want people to ignore us? No.

Being selfless is hard and I'm definitely not 100% selfless. But we can all try... little by little. Simple acts or words that we would want someone to do or say to us. And to remember that what we do for others we do for Jesus.

~~~

Any scriptures come to mind when you think about being selfless? How do or can you be selfless in your day to day life? How can we strive to live selflessly? Any thoughts on the subject?


I love to hear from my readers so feel free to comment below!

2 comments:

  1. I love what you said about remembering that what we do for others is like doing it for Jesus. When I keep that at the front of my mind, it becomes so much easier to do things selflessly! Thanks for this great reminder! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does become so much easier doesn’t it? While I was writing this then God brought that scripture to mind... all Him. Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!

      Delete