Tuesday, February 20, 2018

King of the World



When it comes to prayer then often it's easy for me to just say the "usual requests". When did this start to happen? I'm not sure. God is the King of the World, King of the Universe, so why do we just call out our requests to Him? I feel like at times I've treated Him more like a genie then like God. Try to make my three wishes, thinking that if I pray for something it's like a good luck charm. That's so wrong.

Praying to God then yes, we pray for friends, selves, the world and other things. There isn't anything wrong with requests. But prayer is so much more than that. It's talking to GOD. Our prayers don't have to be perfect, they don't have to be as eloquent as the next person. Praying is simply talking to God.

You wouldn't talk to your friend just when you need something from them.... if you did then that would be an unhealthy relationship. Same way with God. We can talk to God about anything. He knows what we're thinking, what we're feeling, what we want or need... but He wants us to talk to Him anyway.  We can tell Him our fears, desires, dreams. With God we don't need to hold back. He's already seen our messy thoughts, sinful wants, temptations we haven't fled from. But He still loves us.

We don't see the big picture. All of history is woven together, past, present, and future. Only God can see how it all fits together. When we pray God always answers. Either He says yes, no, or later. Sometimes we don't understand or like His answer. But He's the One who created the world. He's the King of the World. He sees everything and knows everything. He sees the big picture. We don't always understand His answer, but He knows what's best.

When we pray then we pray from our limited perspectives. And at times we forget that He's the King of the World. We try to limit God, put Him into the perfect image we have of God. But no, we should pray that He go beyond our expectations.



There's a song I love called King of the World by Natalie Grant. Here are some of the lyrics...

"I tried to fit you in the walls inside my mind
I try to keep you safely in between the lines
I try to put you in the box that I've designed
I try to pull you down so we are eye to eye
When did I forget that you've always been the king of the world?
I try to take life back right out of the hands of the king of the world
How could I make you so small
When you're the one who holds it all
When did I forget that you've always been the king of the world"


We don't always understand, sometimes we have questions or doubts. That's okay.
Let's try to let go of our limited view of God. He's the King of the World. We may not always understand, but we need to try to trust Him because He knows what is best. He is good. Always. No matter what. When we pray let's let go and let God.

Psalm 24:9-10, "Then the King of glory will come in. Who is He, this King of glory? The Lord of Hosts, He is the King of glory"

Psalm 47:2, "For Yahweh, the Most High, is awe-inspiring, a great King over all the earth."

4 comments:

  1. Lovely reminder, Sarah. And that song is sooo pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faith! And yes, that song is really pretty, I love that song. Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
  2. Prayer is more powerful than we'll ever know, and God is so much bigger than we can ever understand. I think He enjoys being strong in our lives when we take risks for His glory... the problem is that we often hide in our comfort zones. I'm glad He's so patient with us! Thank you for the challenging words, Sarah! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Prayer is so powerful and God is bigger than we could ever comprehend. God is our strength if we chose to let Him be. We often do hide in our comfort zones.. that’s something I struggle with. But when we step out of our comfort zones then we’re often surprised. And yes, He’s so patient with us - that’s great news for us! Thank you for sharing your thoughts Hosanna! :)

      Delete