Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Questions



Questions... we all have them. I've a very curious person and I think of tons of questions, though most I don't ask.

We live in a world where it seems that darkness reigns. We hear about people being murdered, raped, or sold into slavery. We know about people starving and needing medical care. Some of us are closer to those things than others. Even things that we know are wrong according to the Bible they are accepted and allowed. And sometimes loved ones die, and friends move apart. I think one question I usually have lingering in my mind is why. I want to know why people do these cruel things. But I also want to ask God why He allows those things to happen.

It all started in the Garden of Eden. God gave man one rule: do not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Satan tempted Eve and she ate the fruit and then gave it to her husband and he also ate. Sin had entered the world. God provided a way for us through His Son when Jesus died on a cross and raised to life again. But not everyone accepts His free gift of love.

Sin seems to rule. It comes at us from all sides, in all forms, even in ways that don't seem wrong. We ask why, and ask God how He can let this injustice stand. I don't understand God. No one can. I can't even pretend I do. I question Him at times. Whenever I hear more about all the evil in the world I want to scream out to the heavens why? Why aren't You doing anything?
I don't have the answers. But here are some truths I've learned.

One, God doesn't shut His eyes to what's going on. He sees the pain, suffering, evil, and sorrow. And it breaks His heart. It breaks my heart hearing about these things yet God loves us more then we could ever imagine.
Luke 19:41, "As He approached and saw the city, He wept over it," 
That verse is when Jesus is about to enter Jerusalem. He knew what was about to happen. And He knew the people would turn against Him. He saw their hearts. And He wept. He cares.

Two, God is GOD. He doesn't have to answer us. He could snapped His fingers and all of us and our sin would be gone. But He doesn't because He loves us and gives us grace and compassion. He is beyond understanding.
Isaiah 55:8, "“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, and your ways are not My ways.”This is the Lord’s declaration."

Third, it's not wrong to ask questions. In fact it's great to. I ask them all the time. But what we have to understand is that God doesn't owe us an explanation. Yet in His grace He has given us His Word for us to catch a glimpse of Him.

Job had it all. He was wealthy, had a family, a great reputation, and he feared God. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, disaster strikes. He loses his wealth, children, and he sits and scraps the terrible boils on his skin. He doesn't curse God. He questions Him. Job didn't understand.
Job 38:4-5 says, "Where were you when I established the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding. Who fixed its dimensions? Certainly you know! Who stretched a measuring line across it?"
What God is saying here and in the other verses surrounding it in chapter 38-39 is that He is God. He created the world. God has authority. Job couldn't question God's authority. We don't understand but we need to remember that God is looking over us.


Sometimes God doesn't feel near, but like the stars in the night sky He's always there. We just don't always see Him.I don't have the answers, but I know that God does. He doesn't always explain to us what's going on. But we just need to trust Him through it all. His thoughts aren't our thoughts. And our ways aren't His ways. Thank goodness for that or else we'd be in big trouble.

I'm not writing this to say I have the answers. I don't. I question, I cry, and I don't understand. But I'm writing this to encourage you. To say that God still holds this world in His hands. He cares about us and loves us. God is good. And He always was, always is, and always will be good.

Romans 5:8, “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” 

6 comments:

  1. Amen! Thanks for this, Sarah. I agree with the three points you made - it helps me to remember those things when I'm questioning too. Also, Job is a great example of questioning not being wrong! I hadn't thought of that before. Keep looking up, friend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We question a lot it seems, and we don't always have the answers... but asking questions is certainly not wrong and Job is a great example of this. Keep living for Him Jessica. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for writing this, Sarah! You did a great job with this difficult topic, and it was an encouraging reminder for me. And your last two paragraphs are such a beautiful ending. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily, it’s all for Him ^^. I was going to post something different today but I felt like God had something else enstore and I’m glad I listened to Him. This is a difficult topic but throughout writing it I was just praying that God would give me the words to say. All the glory to Him.
      Thanks for your sweet comment Emily :).

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this <3. It is such an encouragement to remember again, that Jesus has such compassion and wept. I have been deeply burdened watching the struggles of one I love the past few days, but what a blessing to know that Jesus also sees... and weeps. And he loves this person more than I ever could. And as I imagine how much love that must take, it is a comfort as I pray for this friend, because He will listen to the prayers for one He loves so much, even if the way He brings beauty to the situation is not how I would imagine <3.
    Rejoicing in Hope,
    Bri
    forget-not-his-benefits.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, He sees our hurting and struggles. He has compassion and loves us more than we could ever imagine. As much as we love our friends and family it’s comforting to know He loves them even more than we ever could. I’ve been reading through the Psalms and they are prayers and praise to God. Psalm 5:1-3 says that He hears our prayers.
      And yes, sometimes He brings beauty to different situations... yet sometimes not in the way we exactly want.
      Thanks for sharing your thoughts Bri! :)

      Delete