Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Rejoice Always




1 Thessalonians 5:16, "Rejoice always!"
Then verse 18, "Give thanks in everything, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus."

Always.
In everything.

Easier said than done. Rejoice always? Give thanks in everything? Even in the messy moments, when tired, or in pain, in experiencing grief or insecurity? Even in those times? The answer that verse gives is yes.
I have to admit, it's so hard to be thankful at all times. At times I'd rather complain or just tune my thoughts out from thanksgiving. But that Bible verse says to in all times.

1 Thessalonians was written by Paul. The same one who persecuted Christians, had God turn his life around on the Damascus road, preached the Gospel, was imprisoned and suffered for his faith  - yes, that Paul. I might think that my week isn't the greatest, but Paul literally suffered for Jesus' name. And yet he rejoiced always and gave thanks in everything.
How did he do that?
It wasn't him, but Christ within him (Galatians 2:20).


I have a She Reads Truth Bible and there are short devotionals in it. One I read recently said, "True thanksgiving doesn't remove our sorrows. It acknowledges the coming glory that will."
We give thanks to God knowing that one day the suffering, pain, and sorrows will cease.
We give thanks to God for He is good.
We give thanks to God knowing that even in less than ideal circumstances then He has a plan.
We give thanks to God because He is in control.
We give thanks to God because He remains unchanging and is worthy of our praise.

It's hard to give thanks. It's even harder to always rejoice and give thanks in everything. But even when life keeps throwing things at you then there is always something to be thankful for.

Psalm 75:1, "We give thanks to You, God; we give thanks to You, for Your name is near. People tell about Your wonderful works."

The Bible, especially the Psalms, have words of praise to God. Try reading some of those.

Psalm 95:2, "Let us enter His presence with thanksgiving; let us shout triumphantly to Him in song."

We can worship and praise God through many different things. Writing, singing, reading scripture, and so many more things.

Psalm 107:1, "Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His faithful love endures forever."

Let's strive to praise God always.

~~

What are just three things you're thankful for today?

What are some ways you try to remain thankful despite of less than ideal circumstances?

Any favorite Bible verses about being thankful?

8 comments:

  1. I agree that being thankful can be difficult. Especially when our culture kinda goes against that gratefulness in our everyday lives. I'm thankful for loving siblings, pets, and a good school. I like Psalm 118:24. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s hard... and yes, our culture does send kind of the ‘want more’ message, not being grateful. Yes, loving siblings, pets and a good school are all great things :). Psalm 118:24 is a great verse, I like it too :). Thanks for sharing your thoughts Mallory! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this great post, Sarah! I like Psalm 107:1!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, it’s Him who gives me the words. Psalm 107:1 is a great verse... as it says, He is good and His faithful love endured so let’s continue to give thanks to Him! :)

      Delete
  3. Ah, those verses have often been a rebuke to me. It's so inclusive, like you said! There aren't any exceptions mentioned.

    Let's see, today I'm thankful for a quiet morning, for reading Amos this morning and finding some gems in there, and for my family. :) Thanks for the challenge, Sarah. I always appreciate your posts! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? There aren’t any exceptions mentioned though at times we try to make up excuses. It’s hard to be thankful always... but He can enable us so that’s what I try to remember.
      Those are great things to be thankful for! Time alone in God’s Word is always great :). And of course family is amazing.
      Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Jessica! :)

      Delete
  4. Amen, Sarah! Wonderful post.
    It can be very hard being grateful and rejoicing - for me, that becomes hard because my mother being in constant pain because of Lyme disease. But I also know that God tells us to fear HIM only - nothing else. Because of Him, I can rejoice because He will never forsake any of us! :) ♥
    God bless,
    -Ang | thepeculiarmessenger.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)
      Being grateful and rejoicing is something I struggle with too. I’m sorry about your mom, that must be hard. But yes, we don’t need to fear anything or anyone but Him. And yes, we can rejoice because He’s never going to forsake any of us.
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete