Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Deception Covered with Perfection



It's that desire that keeps flitting across your mind. It's the slight tug inside you feel. It's the thing that keeps repeating itself in your head. Temptation. Even after we repent of past sin and move on it seems to chase us down. Temptation comes in different forms and at different times. It's different and unique to each person.

John 10:10, "A thief comes only to steal and to kill and to destroy. I have come so that they may have life and have it in abundance."

Satan only wants to steal, kill, and destroy. He looks for your weaknesses and attacks them. He tempts you to do what is wrong. He's cunning, clever, and evil. He will twist the truth into lies to try to get you to do something. It's like in the Garden, he tempted Eve with the fruit and twisted the truth to convince her to disobey God and eat the fruit. Deception covered with perfection. He's a master at lying and tempts you. How can we stand against him? How do we not fall into temptation?

Matthew 26:41, "Stay awake and pray, so that you won’t enter into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

While deep down we don't want to fall into temptation, our sinful side is weak. Prayer is one of the most powerful weapons against the Enemy. We need to pray that we don't fall into temptation. Jesus told His disciples to stay awake and pray but they didn't, and as a result Peter denied Jesus three times. When Jesus tells us to do something we need to do it... we need to pray that we don't fall into temptation. You can be as firmly set in your mind that you won't give into temptation but without Jesus you will fall because your flesh is weak. We need to pray.

Never fight temptation, flee from it. If you try to fight it you'll most likely fall to it. Flee from it. Depending on what the temptation is it can be hard to do. If it's to yell at someone exit the room. If it's to go to a certain place on the internet busy yourself doing something else. Don't give temptation an opportunity to take root.

In Matthew 4:1-11 Jesus was tempted by Satan in the desert. And how did He reply all three times? With Scripture. It's important to know Scripture so that you can tell the difference between truth and the Enemy's lies. And if you're being tempted with something look up Bible verses for it and try memorizing them - so that when you're being tempted you can just repeat those verses.

Sometimes we're able to defeat the temptation, yet sometimes we fall for it. One time, well, many times, I fell for temptation and I didn't realize it at first ... then slowly God gently showed me but I lived in denial of it... trying to use rationalize with myself that it isn't really sin. Thankfully God is gracious and forgiving.

Being tempted is not a sin. Everyone goes through temptation at one point or another. If you are being seriously tempted then don't be afraid to go to a fellow believer in Christ who you trust. And pray and memorize Scripture. Flee from temptation.


What are some ways that you've overcome temptation? What are some scriptures that have encouraged you in that area of temptation? Is there some way that you're being tempted right now but haven't wanted to admit?

10 comments:

  1. I agree that it's really important to know scripture. I have not been very good at overcoming temptations in the past, which is a reason I chose "overcome" as my word for this year. I try to immediately pray for someone, when I'm being tempted. That usually helps a lot. Here recently Psalm 46:5 has encouraged me. <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, scripture is so important to know. Overcome is a great word of the year and something that we can all relate to. Psalm 46:5 is a great passage :). We can’t overcome all the things we go through without Jesus, which is why prayer is so important.
      Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Paige!

      Delete
  2. Oh, the devil soooo twists the truth. A lot of times, it's easy for me to believe that I am "wrong" in one way or another, especially at school. 2 Corinthians 10:12 encourages me because it says, "When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they have no understanding." So basically, in this world, standards don't mean anything. They shouldn't matter. I spoke this verse once to myself, and boy, it just gave me strength to believe that I am made the way He intended me to be. Nice, post; I enjoyed reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Satan twists the truth so much that sometimes it even sounds like truth when it’s just lies. The world’s standards don’t matter - when we’re in Christ our identity is in Him so we don’t need to care about what the world thinks of us as long as we’re living like Christ. Your worth is in Jesus Christ.
      Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Mallory! :)

      Delete
  3. I couldn't agree more, Sarah! Thank you for writing such heartfelt posts like these- you do a wonderful job. :)
    Temptation is definitely a huge trap of Satan, but it's encouraging to realize that we always have a way out, as well as the One over all on our side.

    I know I don't always comment, but I wanted to let you know that I read all of your posts and enjoy every one. Keep up the great work, friend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Satan will do anything to make us sin, and He tempts ruthlessly. But yes! It’s so encouraging to realize that we have a way out, becasue God holds the victory and we just need to turn to Him.
      Thank you, Emily! You’re very encouraging, thanks for your sweet comment :).

      Delete
  4. I just listened to a sermon on prayer recently and was inspired to be more diligent in my prayer life, and now this reinforces that decision! I also needed to hear your point about fleeing temptation rather than fighting or analyzing it - that's a big pitfall for me, and like you said, it mostly ends in succumbing. Thanks for this post, Sarah! I always appreciate the truth you share. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, prayer is so important yet often overlooked. It’s something I need to be more diligent about too. Yeah, when we try to reason with ourselves it isn’t sin we remain near the temptation and often fall for it - we must flee from it.
      Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Jessica! :)

      Delete