Thursday, June 8, 2017

Proverbs 31:25 part 1

Proverbs 31:25 (HCSB), Strength and honor are her clothing, and she can laugh at the time to come.”

What a beautiful verse. A little background: this passage (Proverbs 31:10-31) is talking about ‘in praise of a capable wife’. You don’t have to be married to learn from this.

Strength and honor are her clothing. What does that even mean? I looked up the verse in a few different versions (this is cool to do if you really like a verse and want to dig deeper), ESV version used the word ‘dignity’ instead of ‘honor’.
Below are the definitions of those three words (from dictionary.com) I’m not using the entire description, but my favorite or the one I thought best fits it.
Strength – “moral power, firmness, or courage.”

Honor – “honesty, fairness, or integrity in one's beliefs and actions.”

Dignity – “bearing, conduct, or speech indicative of self-respect or appreciation of the formality or gravity of an occasion or situation. Nobility or elevation of character; worthiness.”

That’s a lot to swallow.

Courage. Honesty. Self-respect.

Where do you find your courage? How are you honest? And how often are you not? Do you respect yourself?
Philippians 4:14 (HCSB), “I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me.”

I can only do things through Jesus Who strengthens me. He is the Truth, so He is where my honesty is found. He is a Rock, so He is my strength. He is in control, so He is where my courage is found. He is my heavenly Father, so my identity is in Him so in Him I have self-respect.

Look back at your answers…. Think about the questions and your life… how you’re living.
Jesus is my strength and honor so I will wear Him proudly.



No comments:

Post a Comment