Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Living for Christ: Change the World

(from a recent snow day)


A few weeks ago I was thinking about how I can make a difference. I want to change the world. But the thing we forget is how we change the world. I'm not saying I'm going to become well known, or be famous, or give millions to help thousands of people. Far from it. I want to change the world through the "small things". Through a smile to a stranger, through encouraging someone, through doing a act of service for someone, through being kind.
A song I've been listening to recently, "That's How You Change the World" by the Newsboys, it says how we can change the world through what we don't expect. We miss the small things, the small needs around us.

A passage in the Bible that's always inspired me to do things for others is Matthew 25:35-40. It says, ""For I was hungry and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 
I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you took care of Me; I was in prison and you visited Me.’
 “Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You something to drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or without clothes and clothe You? 39 When did we see You sick, or in prison, and visit You?’
 “And the King will answer them, ‘I assure you: Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.’"

Like I said in my post about living for Christ selflessly, what we do for others we do for Jesus.

 Another verse is 2 Timothy 2:21, "So if anyone purifies himself from anything dishonorable, he will be a special instrument, set apart, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work."

A friend said to me, "I think there's so much more to the Christian life than what we have."
I think she's right. In the Bible Jesus said you just need the faith the size of a mustard seed to say to this mountain, move from here to there, and it will move. (Matthew 17:20).... but do we even have that much faith?

I want to live for Christ. That's easier said then done. But we can do it, with Jesus' help. We can't do this on our own, no matter how hard we try. We need to rely on God, and pray. And let's encourage one another, lift each other up, challenge each other.

We can make a difference. We can grow. But we have to be willing. And we have to do it with God, not on our own.

~~~~

What are some ways you can make a difference? Any Bible verses that challenge you to live for Christ? How can you encourage people? How can you live for Christ? Any other thoughts on the subject?

6 comments:

  1. Yes, you're so right. It does start to change the world when you encourage someone, etc. But also I think God has some people who He uses to do bigger things too. I think it's good to also try and do something big, if you feel led to.
    I love that song!!! Have you heard 'Love Riot' ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think God works through big and small things. Sometimes the big things seem small or the small things seem big to us, we can't comprehend how He works. He told Joshua and the Israelite's to walk around the wall of Jericho, that might not have seemed huge to them but through that God made the wall come tumbling down. I think God works in lots of ways, often when we don't expect it.
      No I've never heard of it, who's it by?
      Thanks for sharing your thoughts Paige! :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, so true!!! That is a really good way of putting it. <33
      Love Riot is also by the Newsboys. I've been really liking it here recently. :)

      Delete
    3. I’m going to have to listen to that :). I always love hearing new songs.

      Delete
  2. Yes, God needs more willing world changes! I think too it is interesting that everything has an opposite. We are like always changing the world for better or for worse. Thanks for the encouraging post, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does seem like people are always changing the world - for better or worse. We need to be willing and let God use us. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Rachel! :)

      Delete