Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Living for Christ: through the small things



Zechariah 4:10 says, "For who scorns the day of small things?"

Right now I'm making my way through the book of Zechariah and when I came across that verse in chapter 4 I passed right over it. But later when I talked to my mom about that passage she brought that scripture to light. It's funny how no matter how many times you read God's Word there is always something new to learn.

Throughout the book of Zechariah then the Israelite's are rebuilding the tabernacle. Each day they would go out and put stone after stone on top of each other. That was a daunting task. It probably seemed at the time that they would never finish. It also probably seemed insignificant to just put one stone on top of another. But each stone built onto a bigger picture.
Even though the work might have seemed endless, even if each stone they put seemed like a "small thing" to do, each stone was progress towards the finishing of the tabernacle.

Today we don't have a physical tabernacle to build. But we have the Kingdom of God to prepare for.

Mark 1:15, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near."


How do we live for Christ through the "small things"?
Through doing things like sending an encouraging text, by smiling at a stranger, through a kind word, through doing something for someone else... the list goes on.

God has us each in a season of life for a reason. What's God trying to show you?

Sometimes we want to do big things for Jesus. There's nothing wrong with that. But sometimes maybe He's calling us to do small things. Sometimes what may seem small in our eyes really isn't when you look to eternity. You may never know how your words might have impacted people, or how an encouraging scripture you shared might have lifted someone up, or maybe you planted a seed in someone's life for them to later come.

Let's strive to live for Christ... not only through the "big things" but through the small things.

~~~

How can you live for Christ through the small things? What season of life are you in right now? What do you think God is calling you to do now? Any other thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. I love how you share deep real spiritual things it is inspiring to me. Aren't Mothers the best for everything too!
    Right now I'm not sure what is going to happen next in my life. So I think God is asking me to be still and trust Him. Thanks for encouraging me to press on!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mothers are the best :). It’s all God, I’m nowhere close to doing this life on my own and He shows me the way.
      Times of waiting are a great time to learn, so I encourage you to spend time in God’s Word and prayer because we’re going to need to for days to come. And yes, God often has to slow me down and tell me to be still... I think at times I want to run ahead of Him but He just wants me be still and trust Him.
      And thank you, your words are so sweet and encouraging to me :).

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post, Sarah! This is something that's been on my mind a lot lately. Small things definitely have an impact. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faith! Yes, small things often impact more then we realize :). Thanks for commenting!

      Delete