Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Remember



Last week I posted about seeking the Lord. I talked about how I had lost perspective. I had forgotten to look to see God's wondrous works and I forgot to remember what He has done and is doing.
The picture above is of a sunset a few weeks ago. The sun rises and sets everyday, making the sky glow in a gorgeous array of colors... yet so often I don't even bother to look. God's beauty is all around us if we chose to look. His power that is talked about in the Bible is still every bit as powerful today.

I was reading in Psalm 78 the other day and several things stuck out to me.
Verse 11 says, "They forgot what he had done, the wondrous works He had shown them."
Verse 42, "They did not remember His power shown on the day He redeemed them from foe."

They forgot. They didn't remember His power and what He had done. Like when they were in the desert they forgot His works in Egypt and didn't trust Him to provide - which He did.
Verse 38. "Yet He was compassionate; He atoned for their iniquity and did not destroy them. He often turned His anger aside and did not unleash all His wrath."
God, even though the Israelite's rejected Him and didn't trust Him, He still showed compassion. What an amazing God we serve! He does the same thing today. We sin and turn away from Him to go back to our old ways... but He still shows compassion.

Psalm 78:12-16, "He worked wonders in the sight of their fathers in the land of Egypt, the region of Zoan. He split the sea and brought them across; the water stood firm like a wall. He led them with a cloud by day and with a fiery light throughout the night. He split rocks in the wilderness and gave them drink as abundant as the depths. He brought streams out of the stone and made water flow down like rivers."

The same God talked about in those verses is the same God today. His power didn't diminish... He's still in control! He still holds all authority in His hands!
Hebrews 13:8, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever."
We may not see the same wondrous works that God did in the Bible but trust me, He still holds that power. He still does wondrous works - like creating sunsets. Sunsets happen everyday but could you or I make one? Of course not. He's powerful. His glory and majesty is too much for us to see. We get glimpses of it but have never seen His full power.

Last week I posted about how I had lost my awe of God. I took my eyes off of Him and forgot how amazing He really is. While I'm writing this I'm jamming out to some Jesus music (by the way, if you need any music suggestions I'm your girl) and sitting on my bed with my Bible opened... and I feel joyful. Joy has always been something I've struggled with and when I feel it it's always so amazing. That's Jesus. He's the one who gives me joy. I'm trying to seek God, I'm trying to get back in awe of God and His power. If you want to seek God and don't want to just get by one of the first things you can try to do is rediscover who God is. He's too amazing and vast for us to comprehend all of Him, but He gives us a glimpse of Him in His Word and in everyday life.
Let's never lose our awe of God. And if we feel like we are beginning to let's rediscover who God is.

In Revelation 2:1-7 Jesus (through John) writes to the church at Ephesus. They were doing great works but they abandoned the love they once had. Jesus tells them in verse five to, "Remember then how far you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first." He wanted them to remember. Remember what it was like when they lived for Him. When we do great things for Him, yet without love for Him, it means nothing. So let's remember why we loved Him to begin with. Let's remember back to when we were so passionate about Christ. We need to recapture that.
We need to remember.


Psalm 104:1-4, "My soul, praise Yahweh! Lord my God, You are very great; You are clothed with majesty and splendor. He wraps Himself in light as if it were a robe, spreading out the sky like a canopy, laying the beams of His palace on the waters above, making the clouds His chariot, walking on the wings of the wind, and making the winds His messengers, flames of fire His servants."

~~~~~

What is one of your favorite scriptures telling of God's power? Mine's Psalm 104 ... which I included a few verses from above. Have you ever lost your awe of God's power, and just of Him in general? What did you do? Or are you going through that now?

(On a different note I realized that this will be my 100th post to post... so yay!)

12 comments:

  1. This is a really good post! Thank you for this reminder to remember;). God is good, all the time. And that never changes.

    Great sunset picture! Aren't sunrises and sunsets just so hopeful?

    Congratulations on your 100th post!!!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, God is good always. That’s such a comforting thought!
      I know right? I lov sunrises and sunsets, and they are hopeful!
      Thanks Brooklyne! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh this is so good. I do feel like I am going through a low time. But this has encouraged me. And I so get that happy feeling too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad this encouraged you, Rachel!
      I’m not sure if what you’re going through right now but know that God is with you through it.
      I love that happy feeling :).
      Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

      Delete
  3. I love this! It's funny, because whenever I feel God isn't there, it's simply because I've lost my focus on Him. Every time He brings me back saying, Mallory, rest and seek in me. <3 Thank you for the encouragement! I have those times, too, where you're just doing your own little thing (like sitting on your bed jamming out to some Jesus music) and you feel joy. I love those times! Thank God for it, right? <3 Have a good day, Sarah! (Also, that picture is gorgeous. How pretty!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s quite ironic that sometimes when we feel He’s not near we aren’t truly looking for Him. We just need to keep seeking Him and keep our focus on Him.
      I love doing that.... those joyful moments when you’re just listening to Jesus music or doing something else that’s just peaceful - I love those times too. :)
      Thank you, Mallory! The sunset was gorgeous. Have a great day too!
      Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

      Delete
  4. Oh no! I lost a comment I had been typing! It had gotten kind of long, but from all that I'd written I'll just repeat this, that the verses I thought of when you asked for our favourite verses about God's power were Exodus 15:2-6.

    (I had also said that I agree with Brooklyne and thought this was a *really* good post. Thanks for sharing it, Sarah!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hate it when that happens!
      That’s a great scripture... of course, I tend to say that about all Bible verses because they are all so amazing!
      Thank you, Jordy! :)

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on 100 posts! I really appreciate the thoughts you share here, Sarah. :)

    Your point about sunsets being one of God's wonderful works - yes! I'm so glad you're experiencing joy in Him, and thanks for this reminder. I need to take some time to remember. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica! As ironic as it is sometimes we need to remember to well, remember. Remember who God is and how great He is.
      Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

      Delete
  6. So needed this. <3 Congrats on 100 posts!!

    ReplyDelete